The visit of Professor Gilbert Murray, Chairman of the League of Nations Union (LNU) in the middle of March 1926 was one of the high points in the history of the Lancaster Branch. The meeting was held at the Cromwell Hall, the meeting room of the Centenary Congregational Church whose minister, Rev E. J. Lawson was one of Lancaster LNU’s most active members. Professor Murray spoke at a critical time during the process of Germany’s admission to the League of Nations. Although it had been agreed by the Treaty of Locarno in 1925 that Germany should be admitted, this failed to happen in the spring of 1926 due to secret negotiations among other members of the League (although not the UK). Professor Murray outlined the situation at the meeting and, despite his frustration, he felt hope because public opinion in this country as well as abroad supported Germany’s admission. After the address, Lancaster LNU Chairman, Rev. Bardsley proposed a motion that Lancaster’s citizens called on the British Government ‘to put an end to these methods of old diplomacy, and to place the work of the League of Nations under suspicion.’ The resolution was carried unanimously.
Germany became a member of the League of Nations on 9 September, 1926.
Lancaster Guardian, 9 Oct 1920.