Deputy Mayoress, Mrs Mycroft, described the Pilgrimage from Derby to Leicester, 9 June 1926:
‘Two hundred Pilgrims assembled in the Market Place 10.30 Wednesday morning… The sun shone on our faces, which were lit up with the glow of happiness, and as we looked upon the faces of the crowd we realised we had started the day well… The name of Derby was nailed to the title-pole, which will be carried into Hyde Park on June 19th. Then we started on our journey…. At Crewton the name of Crewton was nailed to the pole. Alvaston …, another name, was added on to the pole. Journeying on we reached Shardlow… After refreshing ourselves with an enjoyable cup of tea we again gave out the message arbitration instead war…. Slowly we wended our way onwards.
Just beyond Shardlow a passing gentleman, seeing the procession, took off his hat and remained standing. He must have realised the object of our journey deserved honouring. Four o’clock found us at Kegworth. Here we were made very welcome. A nice tea was provided in the Baptist Chapel, the tables being laden with good things and everybody wishing to do something for us…. Again we found all desired that we should nail the name of Kegworth… on the pole; no opposition. If we could keep up the enthusiasm how splendid it would be. But we must hurry on, because we have to meet the main portion of the pilgrimage at Leicester…. Our cars take us along lovely lanes.’
Derby Daily Telegraph, 10 June 1926.