Clitheroe Girls’ Grammar School was founded in 1915 and amalgamated with Clitheroe Boys’ Grammar School in 1985. (1) Following a lecture on the League of Nations by Mr Frederick Whelen of the League of Nations Union (LNU), the school set up a junior branch of the LNU in 1923, led by Miss Bisset. Despite re-forming the branch in 1925, there were over a hundred members by 1930, which was more than half the school. Activities included a League ‘mock Assembly’ and correspondence with children in other countries.
Some pupils attended the meetings of the local branch of the LNU and speakers visited the school annually. Some talks were jointly held with the Boys’ Grammar School, such as Mr Harrison Jackson’s lecture in 1930, Mr Starkie’s lecture in 1932 on Far East issues, Mr Gerald Bailey in 1933 and Mr Archer in 1935. The latter made an appeal to the pupils as future men and women to make the League a working force in the country. The Junior Branch continued under the guidance of Miss Bisset with a separate programme for the junior and senior forms, usually one or two meetings a term. (2)
(1) Clitheroe Royal Grammar School. About us: History and Foundation.
(2) The Girls’ Magazine, Clitheroe Royal Grammar School, 1923-1939. Clitheroe Royal Grammar School Archives.