In 1932, 10 churches or church organisations were corporate members of the Lancaster League of Nations Union (LNU). The first two had joined in 1926. Nine were nonconformist. St. Anne’s Church, Moor Lane (now the Dukes Playhouse), which joined between 1928 and 1932, was the sole Church of England organisation among them. This is double Helen McCarthy’s findings that in 1932 there were more than five times as many nonconformist as Church of England churches co-opted to their local branch nationally. (1) However, Church of England clergymen were among the most active in Lancaster LNU, including two Vicars of Lancaster, Rev. C. J. Milner of St. John’s Church, Lancaster and Rev. C. E. Golland , Vicar of Glasson.
(1) H. McCarthy, 2011. The British People and the League of Nations. Manchester: Manchester University Press, ch.3.
Lancaster Guardian, 18 Mar 1932 and 3 Apr 1926.