The No More War (NMW) Movement held annual demonstrations in Lancaster from 1922, which were supported by the Lancaster League of Nations Union (LNU) both in principle and with the practical arrangements. In July 1922, Rev. C. J. Milner, who had been the first Lancaster LNU Chairman and was now the Chairman of the No More War Propaganda Committee, had written to the ‘Lancaster Guardian’ shortly before the 1922 NMW demonstration to refute the misconception that ‘the NMW movement did not support of the League of Nations,’ and to state that they shared the same aims. At the 1923 demonstration, LNU members played an active part, carrying ‘an imposing banner’ at the head of the procession from Aldcliffe Road to the Giant Axe field. On the field, three senior LNU officials acted as chairman for each of the three NMW speakers, on separate platforms. On ‘Children’s Day’ the following Sunday, Sir Norval Helme, a Lancaster LNU Vice-President, gave the first address.
In 1924, Lancaster LNU had a part to play in the preparations for that year’s NMW demonstration, issuing an invitation to the Trades Council to support it and they ‘organised an open-air meeting in Market Square on Saturday night’ (held despite bad weather) where the LNU Regional Organiser moved a resolution in connection with the Geneva Conference on the Dawes Plan. On the Sunday, at the associated Sunday School procession around Lancaster ‘the banner of the LLNU was carried in front,’ followed by a number of the leading officials, and among the speakers was Rev. R. Tooth, an LNU activist.
Lancaster Guardian, 12 July 1922, 4 Aug 1923, 6 Sep 1924 & 27 Sep 1924.