At the 1935 AGM of the Bentham Branch of the League of Nations Union (LNU) it was announced that a new branch had recently opened at Burton-in-Lonsdale. The branch attracted 50 supporters in its first year. The report suggested that the publicity created by the Peace Ballot of 1934/5 had been a factor in its creation. There had been an attempt in 1927 to bring the League’s work and principles to the Burton-in-Lonsdale people’s attention at a joint promotion by Mrs Muriel Dowbiggin of the Lancaster branch and Mr G. A. Sowerby of Bentham one, implying that both groups were taking an interest in promoting the League in the village. In the meanwhile there was active support in Burton-in-Lonsdale itself. In 1928, the Headmaster of Burton-in-Lonsdale School gave a lecture to the Bentham branch on the importance of educating the younger generation in the virtues of peace.
The Burton-in-Lonsdale Branch thrived until the beginning of the Second World War.
Lancaster Guardian: 25 June 1927, 17 Nov 1928 & 5 April 1935.