During the year April 1924 to March 1925, a new branch of the League of Nations Union (LNU) was formed in Forton, an agricultural township within Garstang Rural District Council, (1) as well as one at Garstang, four miles away, according to the report at the Lancaster branch’s AGM in 1925. (2) To date, no further evidence has been found about this branch, but the Garstang one was still thriving in the early 1930s. The most likely meeting place would have been the Church Institute and Reading Room (founded 1900).
Forton was in the area of the Lancaster LNU District Council .
(1) T. Bulmer & Co, 1913. Bulmer’s History & Directory of Lancaster & District, 1912. Preston: Snape for Bulmer.
(2) Lancaster Guardian, 21 Mar 1925.