The Silverdale League of Nations Union (LNU) was one of the earliest members of the Lancaster LNU District Council, which had been set up to co-ordinate the existing branches in an area extending from the River Wyre to the Northern and Eastern borders of Lancashire. Silverdale’s population in the early 1900s consisted mostly of a number of wealthy residents, farm workers and quarrymen. There was some tourism. (1)
A report in the ‘Lancaster Guardian’ on the branch’s AGM in March 1934 suggests the membership in the year 1932/3 was 84, increasing to 88 the following year. Meetings were held at the Gaskell Memorial Hall in the village. The report shows that the branch consisted of a Committee with elected officials including President, Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer, the latter providing properly kept accounts, with a quota being sent to the London Headquarters. After the branch’s AGM on 23 March 1934, the Rev. Frank Coleman, the minister at the Dickson Road Unitarian Church in Blackpool gave a lecture entitled ‘The League and Modern World Problems.’ The branch involved youth groups in the area, as the 1st Silverdale Girl Guides performed a play and sang folk songs during the meeting.
(1) T. Bulmer & Co, 1913. Bulmer’s History & Directory of Lancaster & District, 1912. Preston: Snape for Bulmer.
Lancaster Guardian, 22 Mar 1924 & 23 Mar 1934.