The Lancaster League of Nations Union was on occasion active in other peace organisations’ events. For the second time it helped to prepare for the arrival in Lancaster of the ‘Peacemakers’ Pilgrimage,’ which went ahead, unlike the planned Pilgrimage in 1921. In 1921, it had been one of several Lancaster organisations involved in its planning. In 1926, Lancaster LNU members were at the heart of the events. The Pilgrims were welcomed in the late afternoon on Saturday, 30 May, in the YMCA Hall by the Mayor and his wife, accompanied by three LNU officials: the Chairman; Vice-Chairman; and a Vice-President, along with Rev. R, Tooth, an LNU activist. After tea, they reassembled in the High Street Congregational Schoolroom (the Vice-President’s church) for a rally at which one of the Pilgrims’ leaders moved a resolution that the Government take the lead in the proposed Disarmament Conference in Geneva policy.
On Sunday morning, about 150 women walked in procession from the Town Hall to Lancaster Parish Church with other groups, led by the Lancaster Borough Band. Rev. Bardsley, again referred to in the newspaper as ‘the LLNU chairman’, gave a sermon in their honour. He commended the women’s efforts and emphasised the need for Christian ‘brotherliness’ and cooperation in the search for world peace. Mrs Muriel Dowbiggin, Lancaster LNU Secretary among her other roles, assisted in the smooth running of events. At the 1927 AGM, the Pilgrimage was highlighted as one of Lancaster LNU’s activities in 1926.
Lancaster Guardian, 5 Jun 1926 and 9 Apr 1927.